Sunday, October 28, 2012

The Imperfect Super Nanay


What's the meaning of perfect anyway?

per·fect/ˈpərfikt/
Adjective: Having all the required or desirable elements, qualities, or characteristics; as good as it is possible to be.
Verb: Make (something) completely free from faults or defects, or as close to such a condition as possible.

Even though I know I excel on some things, there will always be other things that I'm sure I'll struggle at. Like parenting. One can only be good at it up to some point but there are no perfect parents. Including myself. So, here is the Super Nanay's own list of imperfections. I know you can relate. :)



1. I breastfed my son for only three months. I'm sure most moms can relate to this. I have been judged for not breastfeeding my son longer than I did and I have been tagged a bad mother because of that. If given the choice, I would have breastfed Johan for at least two years because I am aware of the benefits of breastfeeding. But, my milk dwindled on the third month until it eventually stopped flowing.




2. I allow my kid to watch TV. Our TV time at home is most probably longer than yours in your own homes.  Though, I control what programs my son watches, there are more than a few times that I allow him unlimited TV time.




3. I let my son eat french fries... and hotdog and cake and doughnut and ice cream and chocolates, just because. Yeah, you can go tsk tsking  now because I find myself tsk tsking too when I had to give in to my son's choices of food.




4. I allow him to have my drinks - from Frappe to Milk Teas to the not-so-freshly squeezed pineapple juice that you can buy at any fast food restaurants. Again, just because.




5. I scold my son. Not too loudly though, but I feel bad every time I had to and for me, that's me being imperfect.


As I've said, nobody's perfect. I am not a perfect mother and I know I never will. What I am aiming for is not to be one, but to be a good role model that my son can look up to, to be the best mother I can possibly be for him and to just love him unconditionally with all my heart.




No comments:

Post a Comment