Monday, October 15, 2012

Getting Informed on K-12

"What?! Additional years in school? Hindi kaya magsawa na ang mga bata mag-aral nyan?"
Yes, that was my initial reaction when I first heard about K-12 or the Kindergarten and 12 years of basic education that is now being implemented in some schools, public schools specifically.

Honestly, I don't know much about the program except that it meant additional tuition fees to pay and longer school years for the kids. It's a good thing that while I was visiting some of the mommy blogs that I follow, I chanced upon Chronicles of a Nursing Mom's post K-12 for Private Schools and there I learned more about  the K-12 Program.

The K-12 primarily covers Kindergarten to 12 years of basic education - 6 years of primary education, four years of Junior High School and two years of Senior High School.



The curriculum will also be adjusted in this program which means some of the subjects that are being taught in High School before will be integrated in the lower levels. Subjects like Biology, Geometry, Earth Science, Chemistry, and Algebra will now be taught from Grades 7-10 under the K-12 program. Another great concept that I highly agree to in K-12 is that the Senior High School will be made suitable to prepare the students on what courses to take in college based on their interests, skills and capacities. The students will also undergo On-The-Job Training or OJT to enable them to experience first-hand their chosen track which I think will be really helpful in gearing the students towards being responsible adults.

The only thing that I think is imperative in this program is minimizing the shortages of classrooms in public schools. We've seen it in the news time and time again and I think we all agree that no student can learn enough in a classroom packed with 70+ students. It is just not possible for one teacher to address all the educational needs of that huge number of kids and that is the reason why my husband and I both agree to send our son to a private school instead of a public one. Well, that might just change if the ratio of teacher vs students in public schools drops to at least 1:40. It is feasible if only the government can provide enough classrooms and train more teachers.

source

Personally, I think the K-12 program is promising and if given the chance to succeed, it is really beneficial to both parents and students. Yes, it might mean additional years in school but ultimately, it is one with every parents' goal for their children: to mold them into better, successful and educated individuals.

Be informed and learn more about the K-12 Program by clicking here.




No comments:

Post a Comment